Whitrope Tunnel was 1,200 yds. in length and cut through Sandy Edge. The presence of a stream above the tunnel mouth led to instability and substantial retaining walls were provided on each side of the approach cutting. Since closure of the Waverley Route, a rock-fall has occurred at the tunnel entrance and fencing has been erected at the tunnel entrance to prevent entry.
The bleak south portal of Whitrope Tunnel seen after closure of the Waverley Route. [A. Muckley]
Newcastleton Station had two platforms, with a goods yard on the 'Down' side. At the south end of the station was a level crossing, adjacent to which was the signal box. The station has been demolished although the trackbed remains intact. A housing development now occupies the former goods yard, and the station master's house remains and is now in residential use.
On the night of the closure of the Waverley Route, a protest was held by local people who occupied the level crossing in an attempt to block the progress of the last train. The local minister was arrested and it was due to the intervention of one of the train's passengers, David Steel MP (who had opposed the closure of the line), that the minister was released without charge and the train allowed to proceed.
Newcastleton Station and signal box looking south towards Carlisle, 10th September, 1968. [A. Muckley]
Hawick Station had two through platforms and a bay platform at the north end. It was situated on a curve and the platforms extended onto a viaduct over the River Teviot and the centre of the town. Situated on the 'Down' side of the station were a locomotive shed, goods yard, and the remains of the original terminus station which was closed when the line was extended south to Newcastleton by the Border Union Railway. The Edinburgh & Hawick Railway continued north from here to Edinburgh. The station closed along with the route from Edinburgh to Carlisle on 6th January, 1969, and no trace now remains. The site is now occupied by Hawick Swimming Pool.
Ex-NBR Class K (LNER Class D34) 4-4-0 No. 62490 'Glen Fintaig' heads a train for Carlisle at Hawick Station in the mid-1950s. [N.E. Stead]
Ex-LNER Class D49/1 No. 62712 'Morayshire' departs from Longtown with the 12.25pm Hawick to Carlisle train on 8th April, 1961. No. 62712 was allocated to Hawick Shed at the time, having been transferred from Thornton Junction Shed at the end of January 1958. Following its withdrawal from traffic at the beginning of July 1961, it was used as a stationary boiler at Slateford Laundry. It was sold for preservation in January 1965, and is now based at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway. [R. Leslie/P.J. Robinson Collection/ARPT]
Ex-LNER Class D49/1 4-4-0 No. 62711 'Dumbartonshire' heads the 6.13pm Carlisle to Hawick train at Brunthill, near Longtown, on 14th April, 1961. No. 62711 was transferred to Hawick Shed from St. Margaret's on 23rd April, 1961, immediately prior to its withdrawal on 1st May of that year. [R. Leslie/P.J. Robinson Collection/ARPT]
Ex-North British Railway Class K (LNER Class D34) 4-4-0 No. 62484 'Glen Lyon' departs from Penton Station with the 12.25pm Hawick to Carlisle train on 15th April, 1961. No. 62484 was built at Cowlairs Works and entered traffic as NBR No. 278 in April 1919. It became LNER No. 9278 in October 1925 and was renumbered 2478 in 1946. It was withdrawn in November 1961 following a period in store at Hawick Shed. [R. Leslie/P.J. Robinson Collection/ARPT]